CEO Michael Nettlefold was pleased with the result which contrasts with a trading deficit in 2011 of $1,500,772. “We are delighted to report a $2,131,907 turnaround in our financial performance over the past 12 months” he said.
“The 2012 year was important in that we completed a strategic plan that will direct the Club for the next five years, we have announced the historic first-ever match for premiership points outside of Australia, which was secured through our strong partnership with the AFL and Wellington City Council in New Zealand. We have also continued to attract the best possible people to our Club with a number of key appointments throughout the organisation”.
Nettlefold said “We are most fortunate to have a high quality Board and Executive and the financial turnaround is a credit to everyone at the Club.”
Key Financial Highlights:
• Turnover - An increase in operating turnover of $3.4m to $30.6m.
• Membership - net profit increase of $319k from Membership operations
• Merchandise - Net uplift of $271k from new initiatives and improved marketing & promotional activities
The financial turnaround was achieved even after an increased investment into the Football Department of $988k for the 2012 season. The increased football investment had a particular focus on player development, with new Assistant Line Coaches, Development Coaches and the expansion of the Culture and Leadership programs.
• Strategic Plan - A 5 year (2013-2017) Strategic Plan was approved by the Board during the season - the strategic framework provides a precise and clear road-map for the Club and its future direction.
• New Zealand - The Club has taken the lead role in becoming the first AFL Club to play home matches for AFL Premiership Points outside of Australia. In a history making agreement between the Club, the AFL and Wellington City Council, the Saints will play the Sydney Swans on Anzac Day in 2013 in Wellington.
• Board - Addition of 4 new Directors (subject to regulatory approval)- Russell Caplan (former Chairman Shell Australia), Paul Kirk (Chartered Accountant and former senior partner of PwC), Danni Roche (Director Hockey Australia and Olympic Gold Medalist) and Jack Rush QC (former Chairman of the Victorian Bar Council and former Chair of the AFL Grievance Tribunal).
The Saints 2012 Annual General Meeting will take place at Frankston Arts Centre on Wednesday 19th December at 7:00pm. All registered St Kilda members are welcome to attend.