Main content

Latest Video

Richardson: We were able to find a way

Josh Gabelich  May 15, 2017 9:19 AM

Full post-match: Alan Richardson Watch St Kilda's press conference after round eight's match against Carlton
AFL 2017 Round 08 - St Kilda v Carlton

St Kilda has moved to 5-3 after eight rounds.

The positive was we didn’t get frustrated. We turned up to the game with reasonably high expectations given our form and we were able to find a way.

St Kilda might not have got Saturday’s game on their terms for large portions of the encounter, but their ability to respond when challenged was a major positive for Saints Coach Alan Richardson.

Despite accumulating 22 more inside 50s than Carlton, the Saints weren’t able to convert their opportunities into an advantage on the scoreboard, with the Blues constantly picking off their forays forward.

In a game St Kilda has typically let slip in previous years, Richardson said he was pleased with his side’s ability to find a way to win at Etihad Stadium.

“We could have done better at times, particularly early in quarters. We were able to get away a bit and they were able to claw back in, so there’s learning there for us,” Richardson said after St Kilda’s 19-point win on Saturday.

“But the positive was we didn’t get frustrated. We turned up to the game with reasonably high expectations given our form and we were able to find a way.

“Hawthorn last year finished fourth and I reckon they had five if not six victories by under six points.

“There are times where you’ve just got to win and you mightn’t get it on your terms and we didn’t tonight, we got it late.

“But full credit to the Blues they were able to get it on their terms early. It was challenging and it was frustrating and I was pleased we were able to work through that.”

Richardson described Jake Carlisle’s game as his best yet in red, white and black after the former Essendon key defender produced some of his best intercept work across half-back.

The 25-year-old came from the ground late in the third term after being collected in a marking contest by Carlton full forward Levi Casboult, but Richardson said Carlisle was fine after the game.

“I think he just got a bit of a whack where you don’t really want to get a whack and that took him a while to get his breath back,” Richardson said.

“He had a pretty positive game for us, particularly early when they did have some moments of dominance.

“That’s probably as good as he’s been able to back himself in and mark the footy. I thought he had a really strong performance.”

Rebounding defender Jimmy Webster has a suspected broken hand after he came from the ground midway through the opening quarter and didn't return.

“It looks like he’s broken his hand. So he’ll get some further scans (to determine the severity). At this stage he’ll certainly miss up until the bye and obviously including the bye and we’re hopeful the week after,” he said.

Are you with us in 2017? Become a St Kilda member today!