Main content

Saint spends night in hospital

Dylan Roberton is alert and doing well after spending Sunday night in Geelong's Epworth Hospital - Dylan Roberton,St Kilda Saints,Geelong Cats,GMHBA Stadium
Dylan Roberton is alert and doing well after spending Sunday night in Geelong's Epworth Hospital

St Kilda defender Dylan Roberton spent Sunday night in hospital after he collapsed with a suspected irregular heartbeat in the Saints' loss to Geelong. 

Coach Alan Richardson said Roberton's teammates were "anxious" to learn of his wellbeing at half-time after he left the ground in the second term.

Roberton slumped to the turf with no player within 15m of him seven minutes into the second quarter and was sent to Geelong's Epworth Hospital for treatment.

"From all reports he's alert, he's eating, certainly for the family members that are home, from all reports at the moment he's doing well," Richardson said post-game.

"One of the line coaches in particular, (backline coach) Henry Playfair, let me know the backs are really anxious and just want to know about one of their mates (at half-time). It was pretty important we got that information to them."

Concerned Saints players rushed to Roberton after he fell before the 26-year-old regained his feet after being assisted by two trainers.

He was able to walk unaided to the interchange bench where he was checked and then taken to the rooms and later hospital.

"It was obviously a bit of a shock, shocked a few of his mates," Richardson said.

"I've never really seen anything like that, my thoughts immediately go towards the player.

"You're trying to get feedback reasonably quickly and there's not a lot of answers come back your way particularly when he goes off to hospital.

"It was really comforting once we were able to get some feedback that he's OK now."

Geelong coach Chris Scott shared Richardson's concerns for Roberton, a player he had previously coached in his time as an assistant coach with Fremantle.

"It wasn't good. We actually saw it live. It's not often you're talking to your bench about getting our doctor out there to an opposition player," Scott said.

"It looked terrible and, knowing Dylan personally having coached him at Fremantle, adds another dimension to it.

"It was very concerning and I think you could see the players reacted too.

"They thought there was going to be a big hold-up in play and I was surprised he came off so quickly because it looked ugly.

"The St Kilda guys had it covered and it was more that someone got out to him really quickly if time was the essence and it appeared to us that it was."

The Saints were reduced to two players on the bench in the second half with forward Rowan Marshall ruled out with concussion suffered from friendly fire with teammate Jack Billings.