An errant St Kilda has fallen to Hawthorn this afternoon at University of Tasmania Stadium, going down by five points despite another late challenge.

The Saints rolled the dice after a conservative, low-scoring opening half to come out a far different outfit - having two separate shots at pinching the four points after trailing for the entirety of the afternoon - however the inability to capitalise heading into attack remained as the Hawks held on 8.10 (58) to 7.11 (53).

It’s the second week Hawthorn have weathered its opposition’s onslaught in the game’s final seconds to clinch the four points; the final siren sounding with the ball 45 metres out from St Kilda's goal to claim the Blue Ribbon Cup and claim three wins from its past four games.

SAINTS MATCH CENTRE: View all news, stats and videos from Round 9

Max King came inches within capping off his side’s last-gasp comeback with less than a minute on the clock, almost reeling in a mark amid a throng of flying Hawks vying to kill the Sherrin. 

Hawthorn’s Karl Amon (31 disposals, 711 metres gained) was awarded the Hawks’ Silk-Miller Memorial Medal for his best-on-ground performance, while Rowan Marshall (35 hit-outs, 28 disposals, 12 clearances) snared the honour for the Saints - and for the third time in his career - off the back of a monster effort in the ruck.

Much to Ross Lyon’s frustration, who spent time coaching from the interchange in stages, inefficiency was again the story of the Saints’ afternoon.

St Kilda’s shifting of angles coming out of defence after half-time yielded alternate avenues to goal with Mason Wood, Seb Ross and Hugo Garcia all having shots at the sticks, however the Saints were unable to stick the landing forward of centre despite whittling the margin down to single figures on multiple occasions.

Josh Battle (two goals) was swung forward after half-time to strong effect and Jack Hayes subbed off in place of Ben Paton in an attempt to get the scoreboard ticking over, and although showing promise from the 18 forward-50s in the third term only had 1.5 in return.

Josh Battle kicks at goal at UTAS Stadium. Photo: AFL Photos.

Conversely, the Hawks ensured their moments counted despite having eight less entries for the game. Nick Watson chimed in at opportune times with two majors, while Luke Breust had near-immediate impact after being subbed on to kick a crucial goal for his side. Stand-in captain Dylan Moore was also a major influence in the absence of skipper James Siciliy.

Even with the captain out of action, Hawthorn were a well-oiled machine in the opening half to receive good return from their forays forward, yet found themselves on the precipice of a late cough-up as the steam steadily lessened out of the young brigade.

A goalless final term despite several opportunities to thrust the game out of St Kilda's reach almost proved costly as steady set shots from Battle and King threatened, combined with Jack Steele (30 disposals, 13 tackles) stepping up in a prominent final term to almost will his side over the line in his 150th club appearance.

But the Hawks’ doggedness to weather the storm and pinch goals against the grain persevered, working hard up and down the ground to ensure there were more brown and gold guernseys in the clinches and come away with a tight win at their home away from home.

HAWTHORN  4.1  6.2  8.6  8.10 (58)
3.3  4.4  5.9  7.11 (53)

Moore 2, Watson 2, MacDonald, Meek, Ginnivan, Breust
St Kilda:
Battle 2, Owens 2, King 2, Membrey,

Amon, Moore, Meek, Newcombe, Impey, Watson 
St Kilda:
Marshall, Battle, Steele, Wilkie, Wanganeen-Milera, Bonner

St Kilda:

Luke Breust replaced Calsher Dear in the third quarter
St Kilda:
Ben Paton replaced Jack Hayes at half-time

15,112 at University of Tasmania Stadium