Rookie forward Jack Mayo will miss the rest of Season 2020 after rupturing his left ACL in Sunday’s scratch match against Carlton.
Scans confirmed the extent of the injury for the 20-year-old, who will return to his native Western Australia and spend two weeks in quarantine before undergoing surgery.
Chief Operating Officer Simon Lethlean said the club would continue to support Mayo during his time away from the Saints’ Noosa hub.
“It's disappointing for Jack to go down with such a serious injury," Lethlean told saints.com.au.
“He's had a bit of bad luck these past few weeks after suffering from concussion symptoms in our last practice match, but we've got faith Jack will bounce back.
"The most important thing for Jack is to be with his family in WA, especially in this current climate, and we'll continue to support him from afar through his recovery and rehabilitation."
In other injury news, Josh Battle will miss at least one week following an accidental head clash with Paddy Ryder in Monday night’s match against Adelaide.
Battle suffered a minor fracture, laceration and significant bruising to his left cheek, along with a mild concussion.
With St Kilda’s five-day turnaround between Rounds 7 and 8, Battle will not be available for selection in line with the League’s concussion protocols.
Dan Hannebery, meanwhile, has been tracking well almost three weeks on from his hamstring injury against Carlton.
The 29-year-old put his hand up for a senior recall last week in light of the club’s nine-day break, before a conservative approach was taken for the former Swan.
Luke Dunstan has also progressed well after suffering a torn pectoral muscle last month in the Saints’ practice match with Richmond.
The No. 7 has commenced his running program and is slated to reach full fitness in six to eight weeks.