Everyone knows the tale of the greatest day in our club’ s history.

Barry Breen’s wobbly kick to the city end of the MCG which bounced through for the deciding point, Cowboy Neale’s match-winning five goals and the heroics of Ian Stewart and Ian Cooper are etched into St Kilda folklore.

But what don’t you know about the Premiership of ’66?

1. The Premiership photograph at Moorabbin is a doctored image

Darrel Baldock in the black-and-white stripes following the Saints' Grand Final triumph. The photo has since been edited to have Baldock in St Kilda colours and sits proudly as a mural at RSEA Park.

What should be the most iconic picture in St Kilda history is marred by one small, but crucial, detail.

The photograph of a black-and-white-striped Darrel Baldock holding the Premiership cup aloft is immortalised in club history, with Collingwood skipper, Des Tuddenham, standing behind him in St Kilda colours.

As was tradition back in the day, players swapped their guernseys post-match, and unfortunately for the Saints, that custom carried into 1966.

BROWNLOW WRAP: Seb shines in Saints' poll

Premiership captain Baldock was by all accounts reluctant to trade jumpers, but despite the pleas for the sake of posterity, he felt it was the right thing to do.

It was a decision that the Saints skipper later regretted, and since, there have been no St Kilda Premiership photographs to rectify the moment.

Funnily enough, following the 1966 Premiership, the VFL ruled that the winning captain was no longer allowed to swap guernseys.

The photograph lives on at Moorabbin in full glory, however is doctored to show Baldock in the red, white and black.

2. The 1966 Premiership saw the first ever Grand Final lap of honour

St Kilda bring the Premiership cup to the red, white and black faithful.

The 1966 Premiership marked the first time that a side had ever done a lap of honour following a Grand Final triumph.

It’s still hazy to this day as to who suggested the Saints walk around the MCG with the Premiership Cup, with coach Allan Jeans and chairman of selectors Des Nisbet the two names thrown up in discussion.

The only thing undisputed is that the iconic lap was done for the fans, who according to Jeans or Nisbet, had “waited long enough” to witness the ultimate success.

Photographs to immortalise the day were taken by the late Clive Mackinnon, alongside close mates Geoff Bull and Neville Bowler.

3. Kevin Billing sat on the sidelines for entire game

Kevin Billing (L, in dressing gown) celebrates with teammate Ian Cooper, coach Allan Jeans, Chairman of Selectors Des Nisbet, and selector Brian Muir after the final siren.

Twentieth man Kevin Billing did not get run in the game.

After the final siren, he stood at the race and did not join in the iconic victory lap because he did not feel he had contributed.

READ: Saints bolster football department

Billing also didn’t swap his jumper with a Collingwood player.

In later years, he trained in the jumper and his children later played in it.

4. The Saints had very minimal depth and were missing some of their biggest stars

Carl Ditterich was a huge exclusion from St Kilda's premiership side.

St Kilda had little experience beyond the 20 men in the actual Grand Final team.

Emergencies Ted Schwarzman and Jon Lilley had not played a senior game in 1966, and Lilley had not even made his debut. 

Stars Carl Ditterich (suspended for six games) and Ross Oakley (knee injury in the second semi final) were the two most well-known men to miss the big game, but others were unlucky not to be a part of history.

INJURY REPORT: Sidelined Saints poised for pre-season

Ian “Doggy” Rowland was dropped and replaced as a reserve by Kevin Billing.

Like Oakley, Des Kennedy injured a knee in the second semi-final, while long-kicking half forward Kevin Roberts had suffered broken collarbone in Round 12.

Tough half-back Ray Cross had also injured his knee two weeks before the finals.